Hey guys, we’ve narrowed down our search for the most popular black cat names from around the world worth checking out.
Our criteria included: plain AWESOME names for your little bad ass black panther.
Find the Perfect Name for Your Black Cat:
- Ace– A very cool name for your dark cat.
- Asher– This is a pun on Ash or Ashy that is a Hebrew man’s name.
- Bagheera– This is the name of the black panther from The Jungle Book.
- Batman– You could name your cat after the dark-clothed super hero.
- Blackbeard– After the famous pirate.
- Bones – skinny cat name.
- Black Magic– Give this name to a mysterious, black cat.
- Bullet– Ideal for fast cats.
- Caesar – For a domineering cat, like the roman emperor
- Chase – a sprinting cat.
- Cinder– This fiery name is ideal for feisty cats.
- Cooper – after the popular Hollywood actor.
- Darth Vader– This iconic Star Wars character makes for a great black cat name.
- Elvis– You could choose this singer’s name because of his famously black hair.
- Felix– This famous cartoon cat is also black.
- George – means farmer.
- Gulliver – Always hungry.
- Hunter- Or you could try this instead.
- Iron– You could give your cat a tough name like this.
- Java – if you’re a tetchy you’d like this one.
- Jett– Named after the very dark gemstone.
- Kiwi – wild just like the fruit
- Kona – cool cat.
- Macho – If your cats huge, this is a cool name for him.
- Mage– Dark cats are often considered magical creatures, just like mages.
- Menace– This is another great scary name for your cat.
- Nightmare– For when you want to straight up scare people with your cat.
- Ninja– This stealthy warrior’s name is perfect for dark cats that like to hunt.
- Obsidian– This lovely name refers to a hard, dark substance.
- Orso– You could use the Russian name for bear to describe your cat.
- Pal – a buddy or friend.
- Percy – from ‘Percival’ .
- Poe– After the author Edgar Allen Poe who sometimes wrote about black cats.
- Precy – precious cat name.
- Pretz – savvy name for a good-looking black cat
- Ruffles – a cat with lots of fur.
- Salem– Named after the black cat from the Sabrina the Teenage Witch
- Shadow– This names gives your cat a sense of stealth and sleekness.
- Shasta – wild name for a wild cat.
- Smokey– You could go with this option that has been used for dark grey or black
- Snickers – cute name for cats with chocolaty eyes.
- Spike – nice for a cat with spiky fur.
- spyker– A cool, tough name that you may find even more fitting.
- Stallion– A powerful horse makes for a good choice for dark cats that are kind
- Steel– Or you could opt for this equally tough name.
- Sylvester– This is another black cartoon cat whose name you could use.
- Tuxedo– Perfect for black cats with a bit of white on them.
- Venom– Like the comic book villain.
- Wizard– Another appropriate name with magical connotations.
- Aggie – from the name ‘Agatha’
- Autumn – A season that comes between summer and winter.
- Bast– Egyptian goddess who liked black cats.
- Batgirl– You could opt for this female super hero as a namesake.
- Beatrice – this means Bringer of joy and happiness.
- Biele – A dancer
- Blackie – A name for a cat with black fur.
- Bonita – a pretty woman.
- Bubbles – this means an uncontainable activity.
- Buena – Spanish for ‘good’
- Celes – coined from Celestial.
- Charisma – this means charm or appeal.
- Chelsea– A surpassing number of cat owners name their dark cats with this
- Cinta – From the hyacinth flower.
- Cordie – from Cordelia
- Crush- a fleeting or one-sided love.
- Dahlia– After the dark flower.
- Daisy – a flower that has a yellow center and white petals.
- Dewdrop – Nice for cats with eyes like dew.
- Dia – Spanish for ‘day’.
- Diamond – A gemstone.
- Dixie– This unique girl’s name is great for a special black cat.
- Dolly – Pretty as a doll.
- Elle – a beautiful maiden elf.
- Esmeralda – an emerald.
- Ivy- this is a climbing plant. Cats like to climb too
- Jade– Good for black cats with green eyes.
- Jasmine – a sweet-scented flower for a fresh pet.
- Jemma – A precious stone.
- Jet – black color.
- Joey – from ‘Joe’
- Latoya – A cute name for a cat.
- Lavie – from the flower ‘lavender’
- Lilac – A colour somewhere in between purple, pale pink and white.
- Lindo – This name means lovely.
- Lluvia – perfect for cats with rainy eyes.
- Lucy – means light.
- Luna – it means moon.
- Mara– Like a black mare, but with a feminine twist.
- Meredith – this name means sea guardian.
- Meringue – A feathery topping for pastries.
- Millie – from the name ‘Amelia’.
- Minnie – the girlfriend of Mickey Mouse.
- Mystique– This name means mysterious and is often associated with females.
- Nightshade– You could name your cat after the poisonous flower.
- Nefertiti– Egyptian princess whose name is perfect for darker cats.
- Olive– Like the black olive.
- Opal– This is the name of a dark jewel.
- Orchid – a plant with oddly shaped but nicely coloured flowers.
- Paulie – means small.
- Rose– Like black roses that are beautiful in their own way.
- Sabrina– Named after the television witch.
- Sable– This name refers to the color black.
- Safira – Good for cats with eyes coloured like a sapphire.
- Sophia– A lovely name for your lovely cat.
- Storm– Named after the dark-skinned super hero.
- Velvet– We love this beautiful name for black cats.
Mysterious Black Cat Names
- Shadow – Shadows have always been dark and mysterious.
- Phantom – Perfect descriptor for a quiet, sneaky feline.
- Misty – Mist is an elusive phenomenon that mimics the behaviour of some cats.
- Midnight – Nothing is darker or more mysterious than this moment.
- Dracula – A notoriously dark and mysterious character.
- Casper – Since the film, this name has been associated with the paranormal, thus making it perfect for black cats.
- Raven – A traditionally dark creature that doubles as a perfect name for a black cat.
- Ophelia – A beautiful name taken from a dark and mysterious play.
- Gato – Naming your feline “cat” in another language gives it a very eclectic and mysterious feel.
- Ozzy – Who better to name a black cat after than the cryptic Prince of Darkness.
- Elvira – She is the Mistress of the Dark and, even if you don’t recognize the name, it is definitely enigmatic.
Mystic Black Cat Names
- Pluto – This name represents both the ruler of the underworld and the name of the black cat in the famous Edgar Allan Poe story.
- Hades – He is another ruler of the underworld in ancient mythology.
- Loki – He is a trickster who shares many characteristics of wily felines.
- Sphinx – A mythical creature from a culture who idolized cats.
- Voodoo – A practice which has traditionally been viewed as dark and mystical.
- Wicca – A name for a black cat that references the mystical women who traditionally kept them.
- Nimbus – A Latin term meaning “dark cloud” which beautifully describes black cats.
- Tenebris – Literally the Latin term for “darkness”.
- Onyx – A beautiful, shiny, black coloured stone.
- Fortune – A play on the superstition that black cats are unlucky.
- Jinx – This describes what some people may feel about your black cat.
Famous Cat Names
- Grumpy – This is both the name of a famous cat and a potential descriptor or your feline.
- Felix – A name inspired by the retro cartoon black cat of the same name.
- Monty – The name of one of the most famous cats in the world, who was born a little different.
- Cheshire – Taken from the famous story of Alice in Wonderland, your black cat can mimic this cat in darkness.
- Mr. Bigglesworth – The famous right-hand cat of Dr.
- Cat Stevens – A pun name taken from the famous singer-songwriter.
- Cindy Clawford – Another pun name centralized around the smoky good looks of Cindy Crawford.
- Oprah Whisker – A funny take on the name of one of the most famous women in the world.
- Chairman Meow – A funny pun on a notoriously famous Chinese dictators name.
- Genghis Cat – Another funny pun on another very famous man.
Funny Black Cat Names
- Snowball – A clever play-on-words name for a black cat.
- Boo – A funny little exclamation associated with the black cat holiday; Halloween.
- Whispurr – A funny pun name for a quiet cat.
- Scratchy – Could be descriptive of your cat’s personality, or could be a reference to the black cat from The Simpsons.
- Catsanova – The perfect joke for a friendly, loving black cat.
- Catzilla – This is a cute name for a mischievous little black cat.
- Ninja – A perfect, funny name for a black cat who is agile and nimble.
- Schrodinger – The name of the man who is famous for his theories which involve cats.
- Fraidy – A play of the quote “fraidy cat”.
- Nyan – A throwback to the funny internet sensation that was Nyan Cat.
Black Cat Names From Movies
- Lucifer – The sneaky black cat from the movie Cinderella.
- Binx – The name of the notorious black cat who starred in Hocus Pocus.
- Coraline – This is a reference to the Tim Burton film “Coraline” where there is a famous black cat without a name.
- Selina – The secret identity of the infamous Catwoman.
- Hat – A funny play on the Cat in the Hat, who is also never named in the movies or books.
- Berlioz – The adorable little black kitten from the Aristocats.
- Scat – Again from the Aristocats, this time the name of a jazz playing feline.
- DC – An abbreviation of the name “darn cat” from the film That Darn Cat!
- General – The name of the mysterious black cat who stars in the Stephen King adaptation; Cat’s Eye.
- Salem – The name of the sassy cat from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
- Sylvester – The notorious feline frenemy of Tweety Bird in the Looney Toones.Unisex Names
Cute Black Cat Names
- Midnight– This dark and mysterious time of night is perfect for darker cats.
- Black Panther- Like the animal or the super hero.
- Ash– This appropriate name is great for either male or female cats.
- Dusty– This is another great unisex name with dark overtones.
- Goth– This shortened form of gothic describes something dark and creepy.
- Raven– This dark bird is a great namesake.
- Crow– Here is another dark bird that makes for a fitting name.
- Voodoo– This is another magical name with dark connotations.
- Phantom– This is another name for a ghost or spirit.
- Spirit– Speaking of spirits, why not go with this ethereal namesake?
- Blackberry– This adorable name is sweet like your cat.
- Chocolate– Here is another delicious food name.
- Coco– Similarly, you can use this chocolatey name.
- Oreo– This is a great name for black cats with a bit of white on them.
- Cosmo– Space names like this work well or dark cats, since space is mostly
- Cosmonaut– Or you could choose something a bit more unique, like this
Russian version of astronaut.
- Eclipse– This name refers to the light of the sun or moon being blocked out.
- Vortex– This means a dark hole.
- Spider– We like this creature’s name for a black cat, due to the creepy
qualities it has.
- Noir– This is the French word for dark.
- Spade– This is a classic tough name that’s fitting for a darker cat.
- Inky– A great choice for very dark cats.
- Enigma– This name means mysterious.
- Expresso– You could name your cat after some dark coffee.
- Pepper– Or you could opt for black pepper as a namesake.
- Licorice– A sweet candy name is appropriate as well.
- Syrup– You might find this name funny, but it is appropriate.
- Molasses– Similarly, you could use this food name.
- Pudding– Named after delicious black pudding.
- Whiskers– This classic cat name is a good fit.
- Boots– Great for if your cat has some white feet.
- Speckles– Good for cats with a bit of white here and there.
- Patches– Also suitable for cats with some white on them.
- Ghost– Another spooky name that is fitting for black cats.
- Nightfall– This is another great “night” name for your cat.
- Ziggy– This unusual name is great for cats that are a bit mysterious.
- Satin– For cats that are smooth and shiny.
- Silky– Another great fabric name that fits black cats.
- Felt– This is a superb choice for soft, dark cats.
- Sneakers– A play on words for cats that have white feet, as it describes how
sneaky dark cats look.
- Jinx– Great for black cats, since they are considered lucky or unlucky in
- Hex– Another magic-infused name for your black cat.
- Blot– Like an ink blot.
- Puma– These can be very dark cats, just like yours.
- Omen– This magical name is an ominous one for your cat.
- Dragon– If you want to strike terror in visitor’s hearts, just tell them you chose
- Lucky– The black cat is considered good luck in some cultures.
- Thunder– This strong name is perfect for dark cats.
- Emerald– Great for black cats with green eyes.
- Zero– A cool name for black felines.
- Ebony– This name actually means black.
- Arthur– This one means as strong as a rock, follower of Thor and noble.
Those were our choices, and we hope one of them stood out to you as you try to
find the right name for your black cat.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some popular black cat names?
Look no further than Onyx, Velvet, Obsidian, Phantom, Eclipse, Mystic, Noir, Luna, Storm, and Ember for your perfect black cat name!
Can you give some examples of famous black cats from movies and TV shows?
Why not take a walk on the wild side with these famous black cats from movies and TV shows? Bagheera from The Jungle Book, Figaro from Pinocchio, Jiji from Kiki’s Delivery Service, Snowball from Animal Farm, and Lucifer from Cinderella are all cool kitties worth checking out!
What are some unique black and white cat names?
Why not make a statement and name your kitten after a classic board game or movie icon? Domino, Checkers, Puffin, Chaplin, and Inky are all purrfect choices for your black and white cat!
Do black cats bring bad luck?
Contrary to popular belief, black cats bring good luck and nothing else! So cuddle up with your feline friends and enjoy all the luck they bring!
What are some Halloween-inspired names for black cats?
Wrap up your Halloween look with these fun and whimsical names for black cats - Pumpkin, Hocus, Pocus, Cackle, and Cobweb!