Our Review ProcessOur reviews are based on extensive research and, when possible, hands-on testing. Each time you make a purchase through one of our independently-chosen links, we’ll receive a percentage of the proceeds. Read more about how we’re supported here.
*FTC Disclosure: We received this sample box for review at no charge. We’re all About Cats is an affiliate partner of Nom Nom. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves. All of our reviews are unbiased, regardless of payment received, and always reflect our honest opinion or the opinion of our cats.
Nom Nom is a subscription pet food delivery service that is gaining popularity. They deliver fully customized meals to your door as well as providing human grade, restaurant quality ingredients in every meal.
Nom Nom was created in 2015 by four co-founders; Alexandria Jarrell, Wenzhe Gao, and brothers Nate and Zach Phillips. This group of animal lovers began mixing up and shipping out fresh and healthy meals for dogs. As of May 2018, the company started offering cat food.
The company prepares their small batch recipes in a California, FDA compliant, kitchen with the assistance Dr. Justin Shmalberg, a board-certified veterinary nutritionist and practicing vet professor at the University of Florida’s College of Veterinary Medicine.
Why Nom Nom?
Nom Nom recipes are prepared in a human-grade kitchen that is 100% designed and dedicated to making fresh pet food. Currently there are two meal recipes for cats.
The first is the Chicken Chow-Meow which is full of ingredients to keep your cat’s eyesight razor sharp for stalking. The second is Flavorful Fish Feast and it is packed with tilapia and salmon to guarantee a softer and shinier fur coat for your cat.
- Fresh meals made with all-natural ingredients
- All meals are pre-portioned
- Two protein rich recipes for cats to choose from
- No fillers or grains, artificial ingredients or preservatives
- All ingredients and nutritional content is listed on website
- 30 day money back guarantee
- All packaging is recyclable
- Customizable delivery
How It Works?
To get started with Nom Nom, you will create a profile for your cat or cats. You will be asked to provide their current weight, target weight, and preferred protein source.
This part is required in order to get a price quote, because portion sizes for each cat will depend on weight.
Once signed up, you will receive your shipment with 14 pre-selected meal packs but you can always go back and change your protein selection if you want a change. You will be updated on every stage of your meal processing through email as well as provided with a tracking number once sent.
After setting up your cats meal plan, you will receive monthly shipments of 56 individual packets of selected food, which will arrive boxed fresh with dry ice to keep it cool. The food packets should be stored in the freezer and removed to thaw in the refrigerator.
The food Nom Nom prepares is cooked fresh in small batches, which means it isn’t processed like other cat foods. The food retains more vitamins, nutrients and proteins because of this.
Other benefits include:
- More energy – Nom Nom is more digestible meaning the food is absorbed and used for energy.
- Shinier coat, healthier skin, brighter eyes – The vitamins, minerals and nutrients in the formulas are known to help with a healthier coat, skin, and eyes.
- Healthier immune system – This fresh food is rich in all-natural vitamins, such as A, C and zinc. These nutrients help your cat’s immune system stay strong and healthy.
- Less waste – Since there are no fillers, there will be less poop. Every ingredient is made to give cats the nutrients they need so they can use more of the food.
- Better hydration – Cats get most of their water intake from the foods they eat. If their diet lacks moisture, they usually won’t make it up by drinking more. These meals are moisture rich to ensure your cat stays hydrated.
(I was sent this sample box of Nom Nom in exchange for an unbiased review.)
I received an email saying my box had been delivered. I found it on my porch when I got home that day. When opening the box, I noticed how well it was packaged with dry ice and the pouches of food were neatly organized with rubber bands inside of the box. Everything was still very cold.
The box contained additional items like the chicken jerky and a flavor packet to entice picky eaters by sprinkling it on their food. Also included was this cute little box that said Nom Nom Microbiome Testing Kit.
This is an analysis service to give you insight into your pet’s unique microbiome in order to make the right decisions when feeding them.
Here is a list of what was in the box:
- 14 meals packs of Chicken Chow-Meow
- 2 bags of Chicken Jerky
- 1 Flavor Packet
- Heart Health Facts sheet
- Microbiome Testing Kit
Chicken Chow-Meow Review
My cats are far from picky eaters. I noticed right away they both sniffed at the food and took small nibbles. It didn’t take long before both bowls were licked clean.
By the second feeding, both cats were howling and reaching for the food packet as I opened it. Both cats are usually less than interested in vegetables but didn’t seem to mind them being mixed in this recipe.
Overall I would say they really, really liked this recipe.
- Chicken thigh, breast and liver: Tasty source of protein, vitamins, and minerals (iron, copper, vitamin D)
- Asparagus: Excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including potassium to keep your cat’s heart healthy
Carrot: Beta carotene serves as an antioxidant
Spinach: Superfood that boosts the immune system and strengthens the digestive system
Cantaloupe: Packed with beta carotene, potassium, amino acids, and antioxidants—plus that melon flavor cats can’t resist
NomNomNutrient Mix: Dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, citric acid (natural preservative), taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), sodium iodide.
|Grams*||% of calories|
What’s Good About It?
- Prepared in a human grade kitchen
- Made fresh to order every week
- Free delivery
- Meals are pre-portioned and sealed in their own bags
- Recipes are formulated by one of the country’s leading veterinary nutritionists
What’s Not So Good?
- Cost of food is pricey
- Only two recipes available for cats
- Difficult for travel because food needs to be refrigerated
I like that the food smells fresh like something a human would eat and that the ingredients can be seen. I also enjoy the convenience of pre-portioned food packs that are the right amount for each meal. This is a great replacement for home cooked or wet food and the ingredients are top notch. However, be prepared to spend an average of $5 a day per average size cat.
If you’re looking for a fresh and wholesome cat food service, that arrives at your door step, then give Nom Nom a try today. Your kitties will love you for it!
I paid the $99 for the NomNom microbiome test for my cat. It took 8-1/2 weeks to receive the electronic link to the results, which were not detailed, did not look like the examples showed here, are not in a format that you can print or save, nor easy to review with your vet. And the only usable data in the test results was to feed my cat more vegetables. Does your cat like vegetables? This microbiome report is a scam, IMHO.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sorry to hear about your cat’s test results. I know this is a fairly new diagnostic tool for Nom Nom and hopefully in time they will improve certain aspects of the test. I would recommend reaching out to them with your concerns. They have a very responsive and helpful customer service team.