Hawaii is a special place. With its unique volcanic formations, idyllic environment, and warm sun, Hawaii is often considered one of the most enchanting and naturally stunning places on the face of the planet.
These Pacific islands have a history and culture that is as rich and beautiful as their beaches, making the Hawaiian language and names popular all over the United States. Below are 150 Hawaiian names for you and your cat to enjoy.
Male Hawaiian Cat Names
- Ailani – A name meaning “big chief,” for the cat that’s in charge.
- Akamu – A name meaning “red earth.” It could be fun for a cat that enjoys his outdoor time.
- Amoka – A name meaning “strong.”
- Anakoni – A great name for your precious friend, this name means “valuable.”
- Asera – If your kitty seems to bring fortune your way, name him this, which means “lucky charm.”
- Elepaio – The name of the Monarch Flycatcher bird from the Hawaiian islands.
- Hae – A name that means “wild.” A cute name for your little wild thing!
- Hanale – This name means, fittingly enough for your cat, “Lord of the Manor.”
- Kahiau – For the extra-sweet kitty, this name refers to the act of doing something generously without expecting anything in return..
- Kahuna – A shaman or wise man.
- Kai – This simple yet beautiful name simply means “ocean.”
- Kaimana – Kai means “sea,” and combined with mana (meaning “power”) makes this lovely Hawaiian name which means, “powerful sea.”
- Kaipo – A name meaning “sweetheart.”
- Kalei – A cute name meaning “the flowers.”
- Kale – Pronounced “kal-eh,” this name means “strong and manly.”
- Kaleikaumaka – A name that means “Beloved child to be looked upon with love and pride”. As every cat owner knows, we call them fur babies for a reason!
- Kaleo – This powerful boy’s name means “sound” or “voice.”
- Kanani – A name that means “the beautiful one.”
- Kane – The name of the god of the wild.
- Kanehekili – The name of the god of thunder and lightning.
- Kapena – A traditional Hawaiian name that has its roots in English and means “captain.”
- Kapono – A sweet name that means “the good one.”
- Kapu – The name of the ancient Hawaiian code of conduct.
- Kaulana – Meaning “famous” in Hawaiian, this fun name is pronounced kow-LA-na.
- Kawaii – A name meaning “coming from the water,” this would be a great name for a cat that loves to play in the water.
- Kawehi – A sweet name for your beautiful little guy which means “the adornment” or “adorned.”
- Keahi – For your feisty kitty, this name means “the fire.”
- Keala – An interesting Hawaiian name that means “the path.”
- Kealoha – Name your precious little guy this name, which means “the loved one”
- Kealii – Adorably, this name simply means “chief.”
- Keanu – Name your kitty after beloved Hollywood actor Keanu Reeves, whose name means “cool mountain breeze.”
- Kekoa – Meaning “the warrior.”
- Kekipi – A name for the naughty kitty, this name means “the rebel.”
- Koa – If you have a daring cat, this name that means “brave” may be the one for him.
- Kolohe – A fun name that means “mischievous.”
- Ku – One of the four great gods in Hawaiian religion, the god of war, politics, farming, and fishing.
- Liko – A name that means “leaf bud.”
- Lono – The name of the god of agriculture, rainfall, fertility, and music.
- Makana – A sweet name that means “gift.”
- Makoa – While this traditional name can mean “aggressive,” it also means “fearless, courageous.”
- Malo – A name that means “winner.”
- Maui – The name of the trickster demigod.
- Meka – A name that means “eyes.” A beautiful name for a cat with striking eyes.
- Nālani – This name has two potential meanings: either “the heavens” or “the chiefs.” It’s pronounced na-LA-nee.
- Nahoa – A name for the daring, this name means “bold.”
- Paka – The god of the air and wind
- Polo – A name that means “plump.”
- Polu Polu – A name that means “flabby.” We don’t mean it in a mean way – who doesn’t love a chubby kitty!
- Pukini – Name your sweet little buddy after this type of Hawaiian pudding!
- Weuweu – One of our favorite names on the list, this one means “fluffy.”
Female Hawaiian Cat Names
- Akela – A name that means “noble,” and the Hawaiian version of the Germanic name, Adele.
- Alamea – A name that means “precious, whole” – because your kitty is precious and helps complete your life!
- Alani – This name means “orange tree,” and could be a very cute name for the ginger-furred kitty.
- Alaula – A gorgeous name that means “light of daybreak.”
- Aolani – A divinely lovely name that means “heavenly cloud.”
- Hanai – This name means “adopted family,” because what else is a kitty but the family we choose?
- Hula – Name your cat after this traditional Hawaiian dance.
- Iniki – A famous Hawaiian hurricane.
- Inoki – A name that means “devoted,” for your loyal little girl
- Kahili – A good name for a light, dainty kitty, it means “feather.”
- Kaia – A beautiful name that means “the sea.”
- Kaikala – A name that means “sea and sun,” which would be great for a beach kitty that likes to bathe in the sun.
- Kailana – This lovely name means “sea and sky.” Another version for your consideration is Kailani.
- Kalea – If your cat brings you joy, then this is the name for her. It means “happiness, joy.”
- Kalena – A name for your very well-behaved, perfect little cat, this name means “pure.”
- Kaloni – A name that means “the sky,” or “the heavens.”
- Kamea – For that one-of-a-kind kitty, this name means “one and only.”
- Kanani – A pretty name that means “the beauty.”
- Kapua – A cute name that means “flower” or “child.”
- Keilani – For your alpha kitty, this name means “glorious chief.”
- Kiele – A beautifully floral name that means “fragrant blossom; gardenia.”
- Laka – The goddess of forest growth and Hula.
- Lanikai – Meaning “heavenly sea.”
- Leilani – A name that means both “heavenly child” and “heavenly flowers.”
- Lilinoe – The name of the goddess of the mist.
- Lilo – Calling all Lilo and Stitch fans! This cute name means “the generous one.”
- Lokelani – Meaning “heavenly rose.”
- Loni – A simple but nice name that means “sky.”
- Luana – For your happy-go-lucky cat, this name means “happiness.”
- Mahina – An ethereal sounding name that means “our moon.”
- Maile – A name that is pronounced like “Miley,” this is the name of a vine that grows in Hawaii and is used to create the flower lei to drape around the neck.
- Makani – For the fast kitty cat, this name means “the wind.”
- Malana – If you have a small little feline friend, this name means “buoyant or light.”
- Malia – A name you may be familiar with thanks to Malia Obama, one of former President Barack Obama’s daughters. While considered a traditional Hawaiian name, it is a version of Maria or Mary, which many believe means “beloved.”
- Meli – A cute name that means “honey bee.”
- Mikala – Can also be spelled Makayla, which is the feminine of Michael, meaning “who is God.”
- Miki – A name that means “quick; nimble.”
- Milani – We love the gentle touch of a cuddling kitten, and this name coule be very fitting for such an affectionate cat – this name means “gentle, affectionate touch.”
- Moana – We’re sure you saw the charming Disney movies of the same name! Moana means “ocean.”
- Momi – This name rolls off the tongue so nicely. It means “pearl.”
- Nani – A name for a true feline lovely, this name means “great beauty.”
- Noe – Meaning “misty rain.”
- Okalani – A name for the angelic cat, this name means, “of the heavens.”
- Olina – Name your happy kitty this name means “joyous.”
- Pele – Do you have a kitty with a more volatile personality? Name her after this Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes.
- Poluna – This name is for the bigger feline gals out there – it simply means “chubby.”
- Pualani – This name could mean “heavenly flower” as well as “heavenly offspring.”
- Pualena – For your blondie cat, or perhaps a cat with striking yellow eyes, this name simply means “yellow.”
- Uilani – A unique name that means “royal beauty” or “heavenly beauty.”
- Ululani – The name of a Hawaiian chiefess and poet, her name can mean “heavenly inspiration and growth,” “raised to prominence” and it can mean “a royal assemblage or collection.”
Unisex Hawaiian Cat Names
- Aka – Meaning “shadow,” this is a good name for a black cat and/or a cat that likes to follow you everywhere you go, just like your shadow!
- Akahai – A name that means “gentle.”
- Alemana – A cool name that means “warrior.”
- Aloha – A word that means both “hello” and “goodbye.”
- Aumakua – A sort of ancestral spirit…say, ever get the feeling that your cat may be exactly that? Hmm…
- Ano – A name that appropriately means “beloved.”
- Anuenue – A sweet and pretty name that means “rainbow.”
- Awana – A name that means “mud.” Great for that cat who enjoys playing and getting dirty!
- Coconut – A name that is pretty self-explanatory!
- Healani – We love this whimsical name that means “haze from Heaven.”
- Hiwa – For all those lovely black cats, this name means “jet black.”
- Hiwakea – A name meaning “black and white.”
- Hoaloha – For your kitty cat bestie, this means “friend.”
- Hoku – Well now, this is a cool name – it means “night of the full moon.”
- Honi – Known to outsiders as “the Hawaiian kiss,” the Honi is actually an honorable Polynesian greeting where two people greet each other by pressing their foreheads together and inhaling deeply. Do you and your cat do this too?
- Honolulu – The capital city of Hawaii, it means “calm port.”
- Huluhulu – A fun name that means “furry.”
- Ipo – Cutely, this name means “sweetheart.”
- Kalei – A beautiful gender-neutral name meaning “the flower or the beloved.”
- Kalua – A name that means “second child.”
- Kamalani – A beautiful unisex name that means “heavenly or royal child.”
- Kawena – A name meaning “the glowing.”
- Keao – A name meaning “dawn” or “the light of daytime.”
- Kekao – For the non-scaredy-cat, this name means “courageous.”
- Keola – Celebrate the beauty of being alive with a cat with this name, which means “the life.”
- Kokoleka – A fun way to say “chocolate.”
- Kukuni – This name means “to shine.”
- Lehua – The name of the Hawaii state flower.
- Lei – Simply, this name means “flower.”
- Lelemu – We love this funny name that means “lazy; slowpoke.” It seems very fitting for many felines!
- Laki – A name meaning “lucky.”
- Lanai – A name that means “terrace” or “veranda,” which is perhaps your kitty cat’s favorite place to relax?
- Lolo – With those of us with adorably crazy kittens, this name simply means “crazy.”
- Luau – A good, old-fashioned Hawaiian party with food, beer, music, and hula. A fun name for a fun cat.
- Mahalo – If you are feeling grateful for your feline companion, this name means “thank you.”
- Mana – A name meaning “power” or “force.”
- Molokai – One of the central Hawaiian islands that is home to the majestic and the highest sea cliffs in the world.
- Oahu – One of the names of the Hawaiian islands, it means “the gathering place.”
- Ohana – We all know that cats are like family – and that is exactly what this name means: “family.”
- Pearl – Not a Hawaiian name per se, but the beautiful gem found in clam shells certainly does recall the beauty of Hawaii’s singular beaches and waters.
- Pekelo – A cute-sounding name that means “stone.”
- Poi – Poi is a Hawaiian food that comes from taro, one of the world’s oldest cultivated crops. Poi the taro plant once it is cooked, and then mashed with water and allowed to ferment. Yum!
- Po – A name that simply means “night.”
- Pouli – A cute name for a dark-colored cat, this name means “darkness.”
- Popoki – A name that just means “cat.” It’s a bit like naming your cat “kitty” but it sounds so much more fun in Hawaiian.
- Puka – A word that literally means “hole,” but is a reference to the puka shells that are often fashioned into jewelry.
- Punahele – A name that means “favorite.”
- Pupule – A fun name that means “crazy” or “wild.”
- Ulaula – A unique-sounding name that means “red.”
- Uwau – A name that means “hiss.” For the more vocal cat.
Hawaiian names are unique and so rich in beautiful meaning, that it may actually be hard to narrow the choices down to just one for your little feline companion! We hope that we were able to find the purrfect name with a Hawaiian flare for you and your kitty.